Friday, August 17, 2007

Rax: Wahthuttelkamm/Hoyossteig

Can you imagine a mountain as a combination of Bucegi and Piatra Craiului ? The walls and the plateau of Bucegi and the limestones and aerial paths of Piatra Craiului ? Well, it exists ! close to Vienna, it is the Rax Alpe !

So here I am, August 15, a free day ! going up for a long day of walk ! And the begining is like in the alpine history books: a train trip then ride up my bycicle through the gorges and nice villages, to reach the beggining of the path.

At Weichtal hutte, I've choosen to go up on Rax through Wahthuttelkamm, a very steep ascent, with about 15 ladders, and 1000m level difference, up to the plateau. The heat is very strong and I feel very thirsty and weak. (I've drink more than 6 liters of liquids that day...)

Many via ferrata begin in this valley:



Here I've arrived on the plateau, Schneeberg in the background:



Too many directions:



True colours:



Above that ridge I went back:



On the plateau, again (many people wearing sport shoes, there is a cable car around, it remembers me Babele):


The most impressive via ferrata on this part of the alps (quoted "extreme difficult"):






This tree doesn't think ! This tree knows ! Everything !


There is more of the plateau, deserted, populated only by mountain goats (I've seen about 50 ! that day).



I went back on Hoyossteig, a via ferrata quoted A-B. I was dissapointed about its difficulty, I was worring that I don't have the via ferrata set with me, but it was useless: just hunderds of meters of cables, and some steep descents on the rock faces, a 500m wall... I even took some shortcuts there...

On this ridge it was my way up:


More ladders:



And bridges:



Than the way back, riding my bicicle with over 30km/h to catch an earlier train...
I climbed about 1800m of positive difference, and back, I did a long tour from 550m-1935m height, passing through Seehutte and he waste northern plateau. As a remark, it was my 4th time on Rax, and I have not yet reach the top of Rax, Heukuppe at 2007m... But I remember the most my last year free ride, below the cable car lines...

No comments: